Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Julie & Julia: Entertainment and Inspiration All in One


I went to see “Julie & Julia” the other night with my friend Penelope. I saw the previews and read the reviews, and I’m happy to report that it was as good as I anticipated.

And yes, I immediately went online to order Mastering the Art of French Cooking and Julie & Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously. I’m that predictable.

As interesting as I found the story of how Julia Child came to be “Julia Child,” I found myself relating to Julie Powell’s story so much more. I’ll be the first to say that my blog may seem like a rip off of what Julie Powell did. But it really isn’t… Yes, it’s about food written by someone who wants to know it better than she currently does. But Julie gave herself a challenge, which I can only wish I thought of first. We’re more similar in our reasons for starting the blog – stuck in a rut, feeling left behind by life, and wanting to have something more than their 9 to 5 job that seems to dominate their very being, with a shared interest in food and cooking.

The movie has inspired me to expand my culinary horizons a little more. Barnes & Noble has my book order packed and ready to leave the warehouse, and I anxiously await its delivery in 3-5 business days. And I know that as soon as I get the package, I’ll tear it open, curl up on the couch with a glass of nice French wine (no champagne though, still recovering from the wedding in Food-abulous Las Vegas), and I will devour it page by page.

I know I’ll find several recipes I want to try right away. I bet I’ll even trade in my no name, purchased in the house wares department of TJ Maxx, enameled cast iron dutch oven for a beautiful, over-priced, too pretty to use Le Creuset one. But the likelihood of me boning a duck, or attempting to make aspic is fairly slim. I definitely won’t be committing to 524 recipes in 365 days. But I think I can tackle Julia’s boeuf bourguignon recipe. Maybe…

No comments:

Post a Comment